Monday, July 12, 2010

Just Breathe

Today's question is: Which of the two creation stories are you most drawn to? Why?

A few years ago, I started focusing on my breathing as a prayer practice. I began breathing more deeply and intentionally. While exhaling, I would pray prayers of confession. While inhaling, I would pray prayers of presence, inviting God to be close to me. If you keep breathing out the bad stuff and keep breathing in the God stuff, eventually, you'll be inhaling AND exhaling God out into the world. This became a very powerful prayer practice for me.

That's one reason why I connected so deeply with the second Creation story. In this story, God breathes into the human being fashioned from mud and gives them life. If we want to connect to the new life God offers, all we have to do is breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment