Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Promise and Fulfillment

We moved on to the Pentateuch -- the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy). The Pentateuch, as Marcus Borg puts it, is first concerned with the creation of the world from the perspective of the Israelites. Secondly, it is concerned with the creation of Israel and God's part in that. With that in mind, here are our questions for today: How are the stories of your own family’s origin reflected in the stories of the Israel’s origin? How have the themes of promise and fulfillment shaped your life?

This question of family origin is interesting to me. I know some of my paternal family history and not much of my maternal family history. So, it's a hard question for me to answer. Personally, though, I am drawn to the Exodus journey and the Israelites search for the Promised Land. I've lived in a lot of places in the past 10 years. We hope to be here in Champaign-Urbana for a long time. But, when will it start to feel like home? When will we not feel like "strangers in a strange land"? And what part does our faith play in that journey? Those are all question I wrestle with often.

Promise and fulfillment, as I preached on this past Sunday, are the thrust of the Pentateuch. God makes promises that aren't fulfilled until years and years later. Moses doesn't get to see the Promised Land with his own two eyes. He dies before crossing over. I have to be honest with you -- that bites. Moses worked so hard and put up with loads of crap from the Israelites. Why shouldn't he get to experience the fulfilment of the Promise? Why not? Because, that's just how life works out sometimes. This example, as disturbing as it is, is really profound. i feel like Moses a lot. I plant seeds but rarely get to see the things come to fruition.

This story helps me keep it all in perspective. God is not a prize to be won or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. God is faithful throughout all our journeys. God is with us in the struggle and in our triumphs.

No comments:

Post a Comment