Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Living Intentionally

Today's blog post is a reflection on the section entitled "Mindfulness and Holiness" from the chapter "Consecration" in Wayne Muller's book "Sabbath".

Many years ago, I made conscious decision. I would stop eating in my car. No more drive-thrus or fast food in general. If I were to eat it, I would have to eat at the restaurant or take it home, sit down and eat. Making that simple change in my eating habits changed my relationship to food. It made eating sacred.

Seeing the sacred in life is really what mindfulness, living intentionally as I call it, is really about. When Jesus broke bread with the disciples, he made the ordinary extraordinary. When we are able to stop and take in a moment for all it's worth, give thanks, and proceed with blessing, we too are making ordinary moments extraordinary ones. This is Sabbath space in our lives.

Stop rushing. Be still.
Be mindful of your surroundings. Be intentional about your actions.
Smell the aroma of your food. Give thanks for the hands that grew it.
Look at the one you love. Trace the outline of their face in your heart.
When you brush your child's hair from their face, whisper a blessing.
Feel the wind kiss your cheek and know it's the very breath of God.
Stop rushing. Be still.
Be mindful of your surroundings, intentional about your actions and consecrate your very ordinarily extraordinary life.

No comments:

Post a Comment