Monday, June 14, 2010

Beloved texts

Today's question is: Are there particular passages of scripture that you cherish? If so, what makes them significant for you?

If have several passages that I cherish. Ruth's promise to Naomi, "Where you go, I will go. Where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people and your God shall be my God," was the passage David and I chose to have read at our wedding. That makes it foundational in my life.

There's also Jesus promise in Matthew which read, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I shall give you rest. Take my yoke and learn from me, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light, " is also key. I had to memorize it for a worship service I was doing. So, I had it there, rummaging around in my brain. The first time I ever felt really burnt out, I remembered it. It became life savingly true for me.

Then, there's the section of Paul's' letter to the Romans wherein he states, "For I am convinced that neither death, not lie, nor angels, not rulers, not things present, not things to come, nor powers, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." That passage made me trust in God at a time in my life that was characterized by overwhelming fear.

I could go on and on. I am discovering new things every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment