Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I need the Time

Today's blog post is based on the section entitled "Seize the Day" from the chapter on "Time" in Wayne Muller's Book "Sabbath".

I lived in Battle Creek Michigan for the past 5 years -- birthplace of the corn flake and home to Kellogg's. I was fascinated by Muller's explanation of Kellogg's six-hour work day. Believe me, there's no remnant of that left in Battle Creek today.

What was most fascinating to me was the quote from plant workers in the mid-forties. When given the chance to return to a shorter work week, as opposed to working a standard 40 hour week, many of the workers replied, "I need the extra money, but I need the time at home more." Isn't that the truth!

Considering our current economy, many folks may find themselves in the category of needing more money, but when given the choice between more money or more time, I wonder which one people would really choose.

In my experience, when I've had less money, I've found ways to make ends meet. And, through a little creativity and ingenuity, I've always found a way. But, that's not the case when I've not had enough time. It seems like there's no good way to make ends meet when there's a lack of time. When I am pressed for time, my creativity gets zapped. I become hurried and careless. It seems that I can find ways to cut corners and still live a full and robust life when I don't have enough cash. But, when I don't have enough time, my like seems thin -- how strange since it is so full!

Having time to sit and be with the people I love is important. it is something money cannot buy. What about you? What has been your experience with time and money? Would you agree with the Kellogg's workers that having more money would be nice, but you need the time more?

No comments:

Post a Comment