Friday, January 15, 2010

Just "Let it Be" is hard to do!

Today's reflection is based on the section entitled "Let it Be" from the chapter on "Rhythm" from Wayne Muller's book on "Sabbath".

Every day, I make a list of things that need to be done at work. As I go through the day and finish things, I cross themoff, which feels really good by the way. I love crossing things off my list. At the end of the day, I look at what is left on the list, if anything, and move it to the next day's list. Sometimes, though, I stick around and get it done, just so it's done.

Yesterday, I had a long list of things that didn't get done. Some things, like this blog, really needed to be done for today. Normally, I would have stuck around to do it becasue it's important. But, it was date night. I had this made these plans with my husband. But the blog! I have to do the blog! But it's date night! But the blog! But it's date night! Aaah!

And, then, Muller's words came floating back into my brain, "If we only stop when we are finished with all our work, we will never stop -- because our work is never completely done." Muller's right. The work will never be done. There will always be more work to do. There will always be another thing on the to do list. And that's why Sabbath doesn't wait for our work to get done.

Sabbath comes whether we are ready for it to come or not. When we have committed ourselves to holding Sabbath space sacred, when it arrives we welcome it. Whatever work must be done, it will wait. Whatever is left undone, it will still be undone tomorrow. And you can do it. Tomorrow.

And, so, all of this is to day that the reason you weren't able to read this early this morning as usual is because I was taking Muller's wisdom to heart. When Sabbath time arrived, I took it. And the work? I let it be.

1 comment:

  1. This so true. Work can wait, but often it does not wait. Often we let it take front stage ahead of "sabbath" or rest. In today's technological times, it is so easy to get sucked away from rest into work. You know we all do it..."I'm just going to check my email, not work!" The advances in technology make it too easy to slip back into work when we should be resting or respecting the sabbath. There have been many times when work had to take front stage - often because of a deadline and procrastination on my part. But most of the time my philosophy (for myself and those I supervise) is "will someone die if this "work" doesn't get done right now? Now in my line of work the answer is usually 100% of the time "No". But the question could be tweaked to say - Will something bad (really bad)happen if the work doesn't get done now? Sure someone might be upset that it didn't get done, but really will anything so tragic happen that it requires you to put it ahead of sabbath or rest?

    Thanks for reminding us that tomorrow is another day and we can finish then what did not gt done today.

    ReplyDelete