Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's only natural

Today's blog is based on the section entitled "Inner Music" from the chapter "Rhythm" in Wayne Muller's book Sabbath.

I am AMAZED at what I read in today's bit from the Sabbath book. I love think about all the animals, fish and flowers living in tempo with the rhythm inherent in creation....the world attuned to the rising of the sun and the circling of the moon, light and dark...the pulse of the ocean, the hum of the earth. How cool is that?

It is cool and, unfortunately, something we completely ignore. We have cut ourselves off so much from the natural world that we live lives unaware of nature's rhythms. Likewise, most of us have learned how to ignore our bodies. Especially in western cultures, we value such a mind/body dichotomy that we miss creation's rhythm beating in our own selves.

We have to stop ignoring our bodies. If we pay attention, our bodies will tell us when to rest and when to rise. Our bodies will tell us when to move and when to be still. Our bodies will tell us when to find nourishment and when to close the refrigerator door already! If we pay attention to those deep circadian rhythms at work in our bodies, we'll find our way...it's only natural.

1 comment:

  1. I think that as a girl going up on the farm when I spent most of my summer days and winter weekend afternoons out side I lived with such a different relationship with the natural world and the universe. The boundaries of where I stopped and animals, the earth and sky began were different- more connected some how-- intimate-- sharing breathe and time.
    In comparison I have come to live so disconnected too often with the natural world around and within. I believe awareness is 60% of the solution to so much. For some time now I am working to be more aware of my feet walking on earth and my lungs sharing the wind with so many living creatures.

    I long to go back to the days where the position of the sun kept time, where singing of birds and the braying of the stock were the background music-- where I easily woke with anticipation of what the day would bring and when I slept the moment my head hit the pillow.
    The gifts of being a child living in the country...

    ReplyDelete